Re: mapping of XML names into programming language

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your mail. I am not yet sure if I understand your problem.
Do you want to be able to map something like
<nihon>... (written with Japanese characters 日本) into
<nihon> ... (written with latin characters only)?
This is the mapping from Kanji to Romaji you are mentioning below.
Unfortunately this works only with a lexicon and on a per language basis.
It is also not reversible, e.g. "nihon" can be mapped to 日本 or 二本 or
others. This kind of mapping is something I guess you don't want for your
tasks.

Currently, the names in XML Schema are defined at
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#NT-NCName as
NCName   ::=  (Letter | '_') (NCNameChar)*

I guess what you need is a mapping of "Letter" and "NCNameChar" to a
subset of these character ranges, which fits programming language
requirements. Is that right? Then the next question would be if you have
the need in your scenario to go back to the original XML name. If the
answer is "yes", you will have the same ambiguity as with the mapping from
"nihon" to "二本" (or "日本").

If you could give more details on your requirements, me and the i18n core
working group will take a closer look at possible solutions.

Regards, Felix.