Re: [techs] Test 49 Suggestion

I think this bears a little discussion. I agreed with Richard's wording
but noted that Michael spoke of requiring it.

A *requirement* for html elements to have a lang attribute, is different
from the recommendation that it is a good idea to have it specified.

Perhaps in the context of the test guidelines, requirement has a special
meaning. If not, we should not insist on html elements having a lang
attribute.

For one, the head contents can have their own langs, as noted. For my
pages, I sometimes translate the content descriptions and keywords, etc.
and so the head has no single language. (I wish we could have multiple
titles!)

For two, unfortunately a document can only have one primary language,
even though there are documents that are multilingual in nature and may
not have one overriding language.
It would therefore be misleading to force the multilingual document to
have a single primary language and should be quite fine to move the lang
attribute to the body or lower in the document. (Anyone try html with
two bodies?)

For most documents the recommendation is quite right, put the lang
attribute on the html element. But I would be careful with *requiring*
it.

I noted also that the guideline refers to language setting by http. If
this is referring to content-language, that describes the intended
audience, not the language of the document, and they may be different.
And I never quite figured out what to do if the content-language listed
multiple languages, since the document can only be assigned one primary
language.
Is there another way for http to declare the language of a document?
If not, the guidelines should clarify the distinction.

tex

Richard Ishida wrote:

> Apologies. This links is much better than the one below:
> http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html

> Richard Ishida
> W3C

Making e-Business Work Around the World