RE: Review of SVG-tiny

Here are my comments on this:

#2: Change 'splitted' to 'split'. Also, note that they may wish to reference the material in CharMod Fundamentals in addition to CharModNorm.

#3: Actually this should be reworded. The comment should say:

On the bullet point about Composite characters: "In this situation, a single Unicode character maps to multiple glyphs.". The example should be changed to explicitly reference the pre-composed character U+00E8, since Unicode also allows for the separate representation of base characters and combining marks.

#4: We need to supply the suggested text here. I'm not sure we should have this comment: their explanation is pretty good, actually.

#6: The reference in SVG is actually WRONG. Section 3.11 of Unicode is Canonical Ordering, which may sound "bidi-like" but actually refers to the canonical ordering of Unicode characters (i.e. Normalization). IOW, don't say " It would be good if you could reference". Say instead: "The proper reference to Unicode Bidi is..."

Also: delete the comment about <span>. They have this.

#8: Is something Richard and I were working on with them. I'll have to look at it in depth and resurrect my notes.

Editorial comment on 10.10: the example doesn't use xml:space="preserve" and so you cannot see the example.

#13: Should actually ask them to use the standard terminology for dealing with RFCs: "RFC3066 or its successor". The text in Section 17.4 itself, btw, is fine other than that. The text in Section 5.8.5 is suspect. It says:

<q> Evaluates to "true" if one of the languages indicated by user preferences exactly equals one of the languages given in the value of this parameter, or if one of the languages indicated by user preferences exactly equals a prefix of one of the languages given in the value of this parameter such that the first tag character following the prefix is "-".</q>

This appears backwards to me. The "systemLanguage" parameter should represent a range, i.e. it should be the prefix. If I specify:

<text systemLanguage="en">blah blah</text>

And my system's actual language is "en-US", then the systemLanguage of "en" represents a prefix (language range is the correct term) that matches "en-US". They have it exactly backwards.

While we're at it, we may wish to guide the SVG folks to the other RFC 3066 replacement which describes matching (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-matching-00.txt or http://www.inter-locale.com/ID/draft-ietf-ltru-matching-00.html).

#14 is a good comment.

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.