Re: Chinese typography and U+FF5E ~ FULLWIDTH TILDE

On 2017/03/01 04:07, Eric Muller wrote:
> CLREQ currently says that U+FF5E ~ FULLWIDTH TILDE is prohibited at
> line start, not prohibited at line end (Appendix A). Its Unicode lb
> property is ID, which allows this character to be a line start in most
> cases, and therefore does not satisfy JLREQ. There is no mention of
> U+301C 〜 WAVE DASH.
>
> JLREQ lists U+301C 〜 WAVE DASH in cl-03 hyphens, prohibits it at line
> start, and not at line end (just like CLREQ does for U+FF5E). Its
> Unicode lb property is NS, which satisfies JLREQ. There is no mention of
> U+FF5E (JLREQ ignores all fullwidth characters).

As far as I know from having been an observer on some Japanese standard
committees, the understanding is that it doesn't ignore them, but
considers them as equivalent to the half-width version as far as theory
goes.

> U+007F TILDE is listed
> as a western character, proportional.
>
> I can think of three solutions:
> - use U+301C 〜 WAVE DASH in CLREQ
> - tailor lb for Chinese to make U+FF5E have lb = NS
> - just make U+FF5E hae lb = NS
>
> In a corpus of ~30K Chinese books, I find 681,803 occurrences of U+FF5E
> ~ FULLWIDTH TILDE, but only 3,258 occurrences of U+301C 〜 WAVE DASH.
> It seems to me that Chinese users have voted on U+FF5E, and that the
> first solution is not viable.
>
> I don't see a downside to the third solution, so it is my current best
> proposal.

This would align with the fact that in practice, U+FF5E ~ FULLWIDTH
TILDE shouldn't appear at the start of a line also in Japanese.

(If I'm wrong about this, I hope a Japanese expert will correct me.)

Regards,   Martin.

> Other solutions? suggestions?

P.S.: Just to be on the safe side, there are of course quite some
examples where in Japanese, a ~ (or 〜, but my IME at least 'votes' for
the former) appears at the start of a line, but that's mostly in
decorative settings were the lines are broken by hand, e.g. like this

               ~~~ Greetings to Everybody ~~~