Re: Are list counters upright in vertical CJK text?

Agree with Nat, there are many, but it's also true that there are common
understanding whether a specific combination of formatting and layout is
valid or not.

In particular, I think the image in the article is not valid, at least for
Japan, probably for Chinese too, less sure about Korean. If the Arabic
number counter style is desired in vertical flow, "prefix + number +
suffix" should be in horizontal. More common way is to use pre-composed
numbers such as U+2488. As you might know, other common patterns are also
encoded, such as U+2460 or U+2474
<chrome-extension://pipjflhdnjcdflbkmoldkkpphmhcfaio/info.html#①⑴>.

Even more common way is to use Kanji counter styles in vertical flow. In
that case, you don't have to worry about layout.

I consider the all "Kanji one + IDEOGRAPHIC COMMA
<chrome-extension://pipjflhdnjcdflbkmoldkkpphmhcfaio/info.html#、>" style
Martin mentioned is a style of bullets list; I mean it's more like <ul>
than <ol>. This is quite traditional, seen in documents hundreds years ago,
but not common in modern documents as Nat said. MS Word has special rules
to handle this case since people use this style when they want to give
traditional impression to their documents.

/koji