Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

1. Most people as I see on Cantonese discussion spaces in China use
simplified Chinese to write Cantonese despite exception exists
2. Choosing which font to use is a matter of region more than script, a.)
please don't think -HK mean traditional chinese with extra characters from
HKSCS, there are in fact different standard in HK and TW on how same
characters are written which from what I know fonts like Noto will soon
include HK version vs TW version, and b.) all those 'extra' HKSCS
characters are now part of Unicode and thus a Taiwan font may include those
characters too, similarly c.) a traditional chinese font can include
simplified chinese characters and vice versa, thus the distinction of font
choice for different languages fall under Chinese macrolanguage is more
related to region than script
3. When a zh-CN user writing in Hant script, they might still expect to
see/desire to use fonts designed with mainland China glyph standard in mind
and those fonts are sometimes referred to as simplified chinese font.
4. It could be problematic to default some Chinese variants to any version
of Chinese font without enough research. For instance, Ming Deng Wikipedia
(cdo) is mostly written in Latin script with some rare latin characters
that most Chinese fonts won't include. I am not familiar with the actual
usage of the language but if most cdo users really write the language in
Latin then it could create huge inconvenience for users of the language.
5. Many Chinese variants are used in multiple regions and picking either
traditional or simplified (or HK/TW/CN) font as default could anger others.
6. When using macrolanguage without specifying any extlang tag, the actual
language being referred to might differ from region to region. For instance
zh-CN and zh-TW are rather clearly cmn, but for zh-HK, it is mostly mixture
of cmn and yue, and thus it is neither cmn nor yue.

2016年7月28日 下午3:55 於 "Koji Ishii" <kojiishi@gmail.com> 寫道: