Re: [css3-page] Additional page sizes

> On 02 Nov 2015, at 09:57, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>

> On 2015/11/02 06:11, Liam Quin wrote:
>> On 2015-10-31 06:24, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>>> CSS-Page supports a short list of predefined paper/page sizes for the
>>> size property http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-page/#page-size-prop
>>>
>>> A5, A4, A3, B5, B4, letter, legal, ledger
>>>
>>> The B4 and B5 sizes included are very confusing for Japanese users, as
>>> they are defined as ISO B4 (250×353mm) and ISO B5 (176×250mm),
>>> different from the JIS-B4 (257×364mm) and JIS-B5 (182×257mm) commonly
>>> used in Japan.
>>>
>>> I suggest adding JIS-B4 and JIS-B5 to the list,
>>
>> +1
>
> I suggest we should check this a bit more. I was surprised to learn that the ISO and the JIS series of B sizes were different.

Yet they are:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size#Japanese_B-series_variant

> I have never seen a product that would show more than one 'B4', 'B5', or whatever label, in particular not in Japan, where these sizes are used very actively.

I suspect that's simply because no country uses both the ISO B and JIS B series, so there's not need to tell them apart usually.

> I also haven't seen such indications on priters' paper trays, even though these come with 'letter' e.g. in Japan and with 'B4' or so in the US (i.e. there seem to be single models for the whole world).

I am not so sure that printer models are the same everywhere (let alone paper trays).

> I think we should get more information on what actually happens in the current infrastructure before adding these additional labels. One thing to do would be to measure the actual size of 'B4' and 'B5' on printer trays in various countries (Europe, US, Japan).

We could do that, but I don't think there is much doubt about the fact that:
* The B series is in common use in Japan
* The B series used in Japan is the JIS one

Here are two extra source, and google will produce many more if asked:
 http://sizes.com/materials/paperJapan.htm
 http://www.edsebooks.com/paper/jpaper.html

- Florian