Re: [css-inline] Request for advice: Initial letter behaviour

> On 17 Jan 2015, at 15:07, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>>
>> In order to try and inform issue 3 from css-inline (interaction of drop/raised caps with ruby), I tried to look up examples of CJK (focusing mainly on Japanese) text having both a drop/raised cap and ruby, and mostly failed.
>> :
>> Does anyone have input on this? Is the ruby + drop/raised cap combination indeed so rare that it might as well not exist, or are there cases where it is used? How much does this vary across languages?
>
> I agree it's rare, a combination of a rare feature and a rare feature,
> so it's really rare, but hard to say it does not exist.
>
> What issues are you trying to solve by finding an example? What are
> the problems you need to define?

Mainly 3 things:

1) It sounds reasonable to me that we should be able to put ruby on drop/raised caps. However, it if never happens, there is no need to specify how it should work and to implement it. So I am looking for evidence that we should support it at all.

2) What is supposed to happen on jukugo with group ruby, where only the first kanji of the jukugo has initial-letter applied to it?

p::first-letter {initial-letter: 2;}

I can think of two alternatives: either initial letter doesn't apply at all, or it extends to the whole ruby base. Probably the way we should spec it is to make ::first-letter not select the first character of a multi-character ruby base, and require an explicit selector like "p rb {initial-letter: 2;}". But before pushing for that, I wanted to check examples of actual usage.

3) If we have ruby on a drop/raised cap, what font size should it use? Same as ruby on the rest of the text? Enlarged proportionally with the initial? Something else?

 - Florian