RE: [css3-writing-modes] Summary of Tr in UTR#50 and 'text-orientation' discussions

> From: John Daggett [mailto:jdaggett@mozilla.com]
>
> Rossen Atanassov wrote:
>
> >> James Clark said, for the same reason as John's #3 and Sylvain, CSS
> >> should only allow UTR#50-compliant impl and disallow tailoring.
> >>
> >> My preference is to allow both UTR#50 and the tailoring in John's #2.
> >> CSS already allows a lot of tailoring, such as Turkish uppercasing or
> >> UAX#14 grapheme cluster. As a secondary preference, if tailoring is
> >> really bad and that subtle consistency is critical, I'd agree with
> >> James.
> >
> > How about take it out of CSS all together? Unicode already defines it
> > all so why can't we leave it at that and remove these properties from CSS?
>
> By this you mean omit 'text-orientation' altogether?

+1 to Rossen. I think by "take it out" he meant to take out section 5.1.1 Mixed Vertical Orientations, which defines the values of the Unicode Vertical_Orientation property.

The original text was there before UTR#50 was born and was necessary at that point. We modified the text to follow changes in UTR#50, but had never tried to remove it. At this point where UTR#50 was finally published, we don't have to re-define what the values of a Unicode property means in a CSS spec.

I'm still ok to say "in the event of difficulties to implement, the UA may interpret Tr as Tu," which is John and Nat's proposal over a year ago.

Note that I failed to talk with i18n last week since I wasn't aware of the summer time change. I'll do that next week, and John proposed us two to talk next week. Hope we have better mutual understanding after that.

/koji