Re: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative?

Hello Koji, others,

On 2012/10/08 22:46, Koji Ishii wrote:
> # I guess I sent from wrong mail-address, so re-sending:
>
>>> Thank you for the clarifications. It looks like there are two points
>>> in the
>>>   "#2: compatibility" discussion.
>>>
>>> Liam said he cares functionality than terminology, so whether the
>>> "compatibility" includes terminology or not is one point of discussions.
>>>
>>> Another point I saw is, given XSL-FO is finished, it may no longer be
>>> appropriate for an evolving technology to keep compatibility with a
>>> finished technology.
>>
>> As a committer on the Apache FOP project, an implementation of XSL-FO,
>> which is implementing new features proposed for a future XSL-FO 2.0, I
>> would definitely take issue with the above statement. XSL-FO is not finished.
>> It is in very active use, and new features are being implemented and
>> proposed all the time. When and if those make it into a new W3C
>> revision of XSL-FO is another story, and besides the point.
>
> Thank you for the info, I understand that better now. But since discussion here is about W3C's statement about compatibility, someone taking over the spec doesn't seem to make a big difference, does it?

I'm not sure what you meant with the above sentence. In case you wanted
to say "because it's now outside of W3C, W3C doesn't need to care
anymore", I would have to disagree quite clearly.

> Still, either way, I don't think this "compatibility" part is related with international, and is purely an issue for CSS WG to resolve.

As I have tried to explain in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-cjk/2012JulSep/0060.html, it
is better for internationalization to have the same functionality with
the same name across related technologies than to have different
functionality with the same name or the same functionality with a
different name,...

To be more explicit, from an internationalization viewpoint it is a
failure if features that everybody uses frequently (e.g. "color") have
the same name across technologies, but features that are only used
in/with certain cultures/languages/scripts have different names across
technologies. It penalizes the culture/language/script-dependent
features, which can't be good for internationalization.

Regards,   Martin.