From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:43 AM
To: CJK discussion
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Katakana/hiragana list lettering

CSS2.0 defined 'hiragana', 'katakana', 'hiragana-iroha', and 'katakana-iroha' list styles, but didn't define what happens when you run out of letters (e.g. lettering a 100-item list).
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-CSS2-20080411/generate.html#lists

Tab is putting formal definitions for all the CSS2.0 list styles into the CSS3 Counter Styles module. We need to know what happens at the end of the list. The possibilities we can think of are:

   A. あ、い、う、...、ああ、あい、あう

   B. あ、い、う、...、ああ、いい、うう

   C. あ、い、う、...、あ、い、う

Note: the alphabetic styles already in CSS use variant A, so if there is no clear preference, we will go with that.

All three variations can be created with custom @counter-style rules, so all three will be possible; we just need a default for the pre-defined keywords from CSS2.0.

Thanks for any guidance!

~fantasai