Re: [css3-text] Better wording than "known to be language X" (was line-break questions/comments

Sorry to jump in. I think that due to ambiguities in context possible with today's parsing engines and problematic issues with how to set mixed language text, the easy way out is to have the preferred rule set specified in the markup. Deriving the correct language is too hard, and the designer really might have a bias on how they want the text to look. A Japanese design would dictate following a Japanese standard for line breaks and leading and grid, regardless of the language or glyphset of the content. It should be possible to specify "set this paragraph according to Japanese rules".

--Nat