Re: [css3-text] line-break questions/comments

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:

> as
> covers all X,
> state.
> >>
> >> Did you follow the link? I think it's well-defined in Terminology
> section. The
> >> section also has examples you requested.
> >
> > yes; my problem is the phrase "known to be Japanese or Chinese" does not
> map
> > to "if the content language contains 'ja' or 'zh' or equivalent as its
> primary language
> > subtag". same for the phrase "known to be Turkish" which also appears in
> another
> > context in this document
>
> I agree that your suggested wording is easier to understand for HTML
> authors, but it's not accurate because CSS does not define what the content
> document format is and how content document determines the language. CSS
> Selectors Level 3[1] informatively recommends content document to use
> BCP47, but it's still content document that defines language syntax of the
> content document.
>
> The wording in our Terminology section[2] looks almost the same as the one
> in CSS Selectors Level 3 to me; it defines our syntax, but does not define
> content document syntax. It's hard for me to find good wording to improve
> this without being incorrect.
>
> If you have suggested wording, I can run it by fantasai to put into the
> spec.

I'm fine with the definition under the terminology section. I'm not fine
with the "known to be X [language]" phrases. In the case of "known to be
Japanese", one might expect a UA to interpret <p
lang="en">この段落は日本語です</span> as Japanese, since you and I "know" it to be
Japanese regardless of the @lang attribute.

I would like "known to be X" to be revised to tie it to @lang (or
equivalent), and not a textual/linguistic analysis of the text that
determines the actual language of the content.