Re: Feedback for rb from html5j.org (was RE: HTML5 and ruby

Koji Ishii, Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:50:27 -0500:
>> From: Richard Ishida [mailto:ishida@w3.org]

> He also pointed out issues about poor screen
> readers Leif and Margin mentioned. If a screen reader reads both base
> and ruby-text--unfortunately there are a lot of such screen readers
> today--markups written in Fallback case works better than the current
> HTML5 model (とうきょうとうきょう is easier to listen than とうとうき
> ょうきょう.) I think that also clarifies author's intention of where
> word breaks that screen readers might be able to do better job.

Just to be sure: When you say 'current HTML5 model', then what you have
in mind HTML5's current letter-by-letter model:

In that regard, then I think the screen reader issues points to a wider
problem relating to the fact that HTML5's letter-by-letter model
creates a difference between what the user sees in his Web browser and
the underlying code. Think about the following use cases:

* Find-in-page: User wants to find all occurrences of 'WWW'. But
currently, for the above example, then with HTML5's current
letter-by-letter model, no Web browser will detect 'WWW'.

* Online translation services such as Google Translate: These services,
as well, will not translate ruby correctly if the ruby is using HTML5's
current letter-by-letter model correctly.
--
Leif Halvard Silli