Re: [css3-text] emphasis dots used with ruby

Koji san

There's one other use of Ruby, combined with emphasis marks - For people
studying Japanese as a foreign language, teaching materials often
include both Furigana (i.e. Ruby) as well as emphasis marks, for
particular parts of a text. Would this be a problem?

On 03/01/2011 18:18, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Kenny,
>
> I talked with JLTF. From JLTF perspective, applying emphasis marks and ruby to the same characters is something editors should avoid in regular books, so they don't have clear rules for that case. If the behavior is important for Manga (Japanese comics), JLTF can agree with what you proposed.
>
> It is also pointed out that emphasis marks are what authors specify, while ruby for children books are usually specified by editors and/or printers. It makes sense that what authors specify wins over what editors/printers specify.
>
> I updated the ED, you can see the change at the end of the 'text-emphasis-style' property[1].
>
> Thank you for your valuable feedback, and the effort to make the spec better.
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-emphasis-style
>

> Regards,
> Koji
David Clarke