Re: [css3-text] script categories, 'bicameral', 'discrete', Unicode links and more

On 04/14/2011 11:26 AM, John Cowan wrote:
> Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:
>
>> I considered stating that she could investigate those scripts. But
>> anyway, let us look at Limbu examples, since that is aparently what you
>> have done:
>> http://omniglot.com/writing/limbu.htm
>> http://www.xenotypetech.com/samplepdfs/LB_Sample.html
>>
>> How do you come to that conclusion? Are you looking at the word spaces?
>> Are the spaces result of adaptation to the "computer age"? Anyway,
>> please note that "_and_ have discrete, unconnected (in print) units
>> within words" is part of the discrete definition.
>
> Very well: see p. 18 of http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/n2339-limbu.pdf.
> This was printed by offset.

The main point that distinguishes 'discrete' from 'connected' is that
letter-spacing is allowed to be used for justification. Cases to look
at include
   - lines that have no word separators, and thus can't be justified
     that way
   - mixtures with scripts such as CJK, where letter-spacing is
     sometimes applied equally to discrete scripts during justification
Similarly 'clustered' vs 'discrete' can be distinguished by what happens
when you mix the two scripts.

Leif says I should just list all the scripts in Unicode and categorize
them. Great idea in theory. But in practice, I do not know enough about
their typesetting behavior to make a correct categorization and do not
have access to enough printed materials in all the scripts in Unicode
to make an educated guess.

~fantasai