Re: Bopomofo ruby use cases

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
> When it comes to finalising the CSS3 Ruby spec, it seems that there is still a lack of clarity about certain aspects of how bopomofo ruby should be handled.
>
> To help with that, I am trying to compile information about how bopomofo ruby is used.  Perhaps this could become a Note at some point, or eventually be folded into a Chinese Layout Requirements document.
>
> For the time being, I am still seeking information about some things and hoping that people can send me examples of usage in the wild.
>
> You can find what I have done so far at http://rishida.net/blog/?p=494.   Please send comments, additional information, and examples of use.

I went to bookstores, collected some information, and took some photos.
I'll say more later. Quick summary:

1. No horizontal Bopomofo ruby is in use right now, as far as I can tell
2. Horizontal Bopomofo is still in use, mostly by horizontally typeset
dictionaries
    (either Chinese ones or Chinese-English ones)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koansin/sets/72157625472336915/

--
// koan-sin tan