Re: First strong on strings surrounded by isolate controls

On 15/09/2016 10:49, Simon Montagu wrote:
> On 15/09/16 07:51, r12a wrote:
>> On 15/09/2016 05:44, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>>> This is a very high level, speculative comment, but I'll make it anyway:
>>>
>>> You sound as if the isolates are too isolated. My understanding is that
>>> we introduced the isolates because the embeddings were not independent
>>> (isolated) enough and interacted with their surroundings too much.
>>>
>>> Did we overdo (if maybe even just so sligthly) the isolation when we
>>> created isolates? Or would we (at least in theory) need a third kind of
>>> range, somewhere in between isolates and embeddings in independency?
>>
>> i don't think the level of isolation is the problem, i think it's more
>> to do with an isolated range being treated as a neutral character
>> (whereas a non-isolated embedded range (eg. RLE) is treated as a strong
>> character).
>>
>> ri
>>

> That sounds to me like the same issue: as soon as an embedded sequence
> is treated as a strong character, it stops being isolated: for example
> it can affect the resolved level of an adjacent numeral. IIUARC this was
> one of the chief reasons, if not THE reason, for treating isolated
> sequences as neutral characters in their containers

i agree that it's probably an inseparable issue. The question is how to
ascertain that a string like "RLI فعالیت بین‌المللی‌سازی، PDI", which i
think should be regarded by default as a RTL string can be perceived as
such - especially if those controls have been added by something else
along the way, such as an application that wraps strings, and which
therefore removes the previously existing clues.

Asmus, i hear what you're saying about higher level protocols, but i
can't help thinking that those protocols would need to be adopted by
just about any application that deals with strings of this kind - which
makes me think that perhaps there should be a standard mechanism
described by the UBA (?).

ri