Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 15:51:21 -0400
To: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, Matitiahu Allouche <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>, 'fantasai' <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
CC: 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
On 14-05-22 06:06 PM, Asmus Freytag wrote:
> On 5/22/2014 2:43 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> On 14-05-22 05:24 PM, Asmus Freytag wrote:
>>> What software support joining (other than color) today?
>> Android platform (not the browser), and GNOME desktop both do.
>>

> Can you share a screen shot?

Here are the slides of my 2004 Unicode Conference talk.  See page 16 for example:

  * In the slides, I've used color to highlight letters, while preserving shaping:

  http://behdad.org/download/Publications/persiancomputing/slides_acro.pdf

  * In the print version, I've used bold font to do the same:

  http://behdad.org/download/Publications/persiancomputing/a007.pdf

Surely not the most typographically correct way to do it.  But anything other
than preserving joining would have been just wrong.

And attached is a sample from Pango with one letter using a bold font.  Same
comment as above applies.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/