Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 08:37:41 +0700
To: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Cc: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>, CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>, Ben Wagner <bungeman@chromium.org>, "ntounsi@emi.ac.ma" <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>, "matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com" <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>, "fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> Rather, it's whether Arabic joining and shaping can take place across
> font boundaries, perhaps using shared OpenType metadata in a multi-font
> TrueType Collection.

I don't think you would want to have this depend on using TTC packaging:
you would want it to work even if the fonts are packaged as WOFF.

It's clearly a significant limitation of OpenType at the moment that
cross-font shaping is not possible.  However, fixing this would be a very
non-trivial change to OpenType layout. If the CSS WG thinks this is a
limitation that it's important to remove, then I would suggest the W3C
should submit a reasoned request for this to the responsible ISO WG. I
believe there already is a liaison relationship in place.

James