RE: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 13:50:05 -0400
To: Ben Wagner <bungeman@chromium.org>, "ntounsi@emi.ac.ma" <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>, "matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com" <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>, "fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

My question is: should the characters that are not joined take the shapes they would have as if they were joined?As with Arabic hyphenation? (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#hyphens-property) (Someone whose language is Arabic might best answer this.)
(Also, and this question is for everyone, are there currently published books with examples of boldfaced or italic text? From what Najib says boldfacing is used for emphasis, but not so much italicizing; I think it will be unlikely that we will find examples that have a single letter in a word emphasized with boldfacing, but I thought I'd ask anyway)
Changing font color should not and obviously does not affect joining; changing font style (to italic) might, as might changing font weight to bold;  changing font family which is different from changing style or weight obviously does affect joining.

Best,
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com