Re: [css-text] Arabic letters connecting between elements with display: inline

From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 15:09:40 -0400
To: Matitiahu Allouche <matitiahu.allouche@gmail.com>, 'fantasai' <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
CC: 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
On 14-05-22 03:28 AM, Matitiahu Allouche wrote:
> Fantasai wrote: " I don't think change of font or color should cause a joining break, however."
>
> I agree that change of color should not mandate a joining break. On the other hand, a change of font, or a change of size in the same font, seems to make joining across the change very difficult technically. It would be quite extraordinary that letters from two fonts crafted by different designers join properly.
> If the technical hurdle is such that there is little chance that implementations will overcome it, then it might be better to pronounce that there will be no joining across font or size changes.

I disagree.  Joining should NOT be broken even if font changes.  Using a bold
font to highlight a letter in print is a valid use.  It's hard.  But the
alternative is wrong.  Whether user uses a different font weight or a
different color to highlight shouldn't affect the correctness of the script
behavior.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/