Re: [css3-fonts] Synthesizing oblique, to which direction in RTL and vertical flow?

On 03/02/13 10:57 PM, Ambrose LI wrote:

> I might be wrong but I believe this is language dependent. AFAIK in
> Hebrew the slant would be to the right (i.e., same as LTR scripts);
> but Arabic and Persian slant to the opposite direction, to the left.

There are variable practices for Hebrew, and the Masterfont foundry in
Israel even ships some font families with two sets of 'italics', one
leaning right and one leaning left. Personally, I've generally favoured
a lean to the right, because it produces a more visually compact style
with stronger forms (when leaning to the left, the letters dalet and
resh become attenuated), and because of the precedence of some mediaeval
manuscript styles that lean to the right.

JH