Re: Bidi, HTML5 and CSS3, test bidi-html5-019

On 03/13/2012 03:30 PM, Eric Muller wrote:
> On 3/10/2012 10:16 AM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
>> > What does that mean in terms of implementation?
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean.
>>

> I think this case will answer my question unambiguously:

> (where A...F stand for arbitrary strings, not for characters; spaces added for readability, not part of the text)
>
> Is the explicit LRO ("&#x202d;") reopened on the other side of the <br>? or asked another way, is the type of the characters
> in the fragment D overridden to L or to R?

CSS's bidi behavior only inserts codes corresponding to CSS-specified
bidi controls; it leaves the plaintext control codes intact and does
not try to interpret or augment them. The resulting stream is then
bidi-processed. So in your example, the LRO is not reopened on the
other side of the <br>; it is terminated, as in plaintext, at the
forced break. Furthermore, the PDF after D closes the RLO opened by
the <span>.

This is why we recommend not mixing markup and plaintext bidi controls.
It can create quite a mess!

~fantasai