RE: Shaping characters in upright orientation in vertical text flow

Thank you everyone for very prompt replies.

After looking at your replies, I started to wonder, maybe the way I asked the question wasn't very good, so please allow me to rephrase.

We editors expect most non-East Asian authors would use "text-orientation: sideways-right" as explained in the figure[1]. In this style, all non-East Asian characters such as Latin or bi-di renders sideways, rotated by 90 degrees, as you all recommended. So, that's good to have this many confirmation.

We have another option here, "upright," that sets Latin letters upright. This is a value that are not often used in Latin either, but we have this value because there are some use cases such as signboards.

The question is about how we should render shaping characters in this style. If you never want shaping characters appear in upright, and therefore ignore "upright" style and prefer fallback to "sideways-right", that's doable, but then you'll lose the capability of setting them upright ever. If rendering such way is totally incorrect and you want to prohibit authors to use such an option, I think that's a good design.

If, even rarely, some authors may want to render shaping characters such as Arabic in upright, I think it's a nice option to keep as is.

So, from what I read, I understand what everyone says are:

    "sideways-right" is the most common way to set shaping characters
    in vertical text flow, but "upright" is sometimes used for shaping
    characters such as Arabic, and when doing so, using isolated forms
    is correct.

Do I understand your answers correctly?

Thanks for your support again, as always.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#fig-text-orientation

Regards,
Koji