RE: Implementation status of "Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML" ("dir" & "directory")

________________________________
> From: aharon@google.com
> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:50:09 +0200
> To: cewcathar@hotmail.com
> CC: ntounsi@emi.ac.ma; public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Implementation status of "Additional Requirements for Bidi
> in HTML" ("dir" & "directory")
>
>> (I am still unclear as to what Aharon means by push/pull but I think
> it means this:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_technology
>
> No, what I meant is this:
> the original proposal (and Ian's current dirname draft) "push" the
> information from the element on which it is declared into another
> control. It has no effect on the value of the element on which it is
> declared. The alternative is to "pull" the information to the element
> on which the new attribute is declared from the element named by the
> attribute's value. For example,
> would pull the direction from another input, whose name is "foo", into
> the value of this one.

Aharon, thanks for your patience in explaining this -- I don't quite think it is up to us to specify whether direction is pushed or pulled then; I think it's o.k. to leave that up to the application developers (although this is going to force script writers to write browser sniffers) and to choose a term that works with both!

I tend to agree with Ehsan that dir is already there and does not need changing, but if the working group says dir is not good enough, I like either text-direction or input-direction (the latter would probably only be appropriate for pulls?).

(Happy Thanksgiving/autumn harvest -- in the Northern Hemisphere anyway -- to those who celebrate that . . .)

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com