Re: titledir

> As far as I know, the longdesc attribute points to a URL, and
> therefore is not subject to the same considerations as the title
> attribute.

You have a point. And given that no browser actually supports longdesc, it's
best to simply not mention it.

> The alt attribute, as applied to images, _can_ potentially
> be subject to the same concern [as the title attribute], IMO.
> However, I think in order to
> determine the direction of the alternate text, I think it should be
> safe to specify that user agents are supposed to use the value of the
> dir attribute on the img element (or its computed CSS direction).

It is indeed the intent to propose, for both alt and title, that their
direction should be specified by the element's computed direction (which can
be set by its dir attribute). However, for title, we are proposing a way to
override it with titledir because it is not unreasonable to want an
opposite-direction title on an element. Although obviously nothing prevents
an author from doing the same in alt, I don't think that it is a good idea
for the author to do that, and so I don't think that we should encourage it
by giving a way to specify it.

> Furthermore, I don't see why we need to explicitly specify that the
> titledir attribute should not have a CSS equivalent.

Do you think it needs a CSS equivalent?

Aharon