Re: Directionality of alt attribute ([html-bidi] Feedback on Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML)

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM, CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> From: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>
> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:48:10 -0400
> To: public-i18n-bidi@w3.org
>> This mail had bounced...
>
>> What I actually mean is that setting the direction for img elements
>> doesn't actually have any effect on how the image is displayed or
>> layed out, so the img's direction can be "hijacked" to only affect the
>> directionality of the alt text.
> Thanks for your information on this.
> So you are saying that no additional directionality attribute is needed for
> the alt attribute?

Yes, that's what I'm proposing.

> (One note though:  it may be clearer to content authors to have a
> directionality on the alt attribute rahter than only the img directionality
> attribute.)

My suggestion was in hopes of not adding attributes unless absolutely
necessary.  Otherwise, I don't feel strongly against adding an
attribute for alt text directionality anyway.

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>