W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-arabic@w3.org > January to March 2017

Re: [minutes] ALReq Weekly Meeting Telecon 2017-02-14

From: Behnam Esfahbod <behnam@behnam.es>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 14:59:28 -0800
Message-ID: <CANp6TtzZOWpBwifroywSd+dBdUOJ87NZkUgjtXDCDkwqTyj=rw@mail.gmail.com>
To: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>
Cc: public-i18n-arabic@w3.org
No worries, Najib.

About the title, I think the main difference here, comparing to JLReq and
CLReq, is that we don't have one language (like Japanese) or one family of
languages (like Chinese) being address, but two languages from very
different families and branches of languages, which don't have a common
name together.

Best,
-b


On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Late regrets. I had an unexpected thing and couldn't join in time.
>
> About the title of the document, my préférence is for the original title.
> "Arabic layout..." is synthetic and coherent with JLReq, CLReq and others.
> But if you agree with the new title, It's OK.
>
> Regards,
>
> Najib
>
>
>
> On 14/02/17 17:28, Behnam Esfahbod wrote:
>
>> https://www.w3.org/2017/02/14-alreq-minutes.html
>>
>>
>> text snapshot follows:
>>
>>
>>                  ALReq Weekly Meeting, 14 February 2017
>>
>> 14 Feb 2017
>>
>>    See also: [2]IRC log
>>
>>       [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/14-alreq-irc
>>
>> Attendees
>>
>>    Present
>>           scribe, Behnam, Mostafa, r12a, Shervin
>>
>>    Regrets
>>    Chair
>>           Behnam
>>
>>    Scribe
>>           mostafa
>>
>> Contents
>>
>>      * [3]Topics
>>          1. [4]Title of the document
>>      * [5]Summary of Action Items
>>      * [6]Summary of Resolutions
>>  __________________________________________________________
>>
>>    <behnam> Review of GitHub issues and pull requests
>>
>>    <behnam> [7]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects
>>
>>       [7] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects
>>
>>    <r12a> [8]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1
>>
>>       [8] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1
>>
>>    <behnam> [9]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects/1
>>
>>       [9] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects/1
>>
>>    <r12a> [10]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/projects/1
>>
>>      [10] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/projects/1
>>
>>    <behnam> action Behnam to set up a github project for drafting
>>    pipeline
>>
>>    <trackbot> Created ACTION-85 - Set up a github project for
>>    drafting pipeline [on Behnam Esfahbod - due 2017-02-21].
>>
>>    <behnam> [11]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/projects/1
>>
>>      [11] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-drafts/projects/1
>>
>>    <behnam> [12]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1
>>
>>      [12] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1
>>
>>    <Shervin> +1
>>
>> Title of the document
>>
>>    <Shervin> [13]https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/88
>>
>>      [13] https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/88
>>
>>    Richard: Three different encounters suggesting to me that they
>>    thought our document only covers the Arabic language.
>>    ... Because of our title.
>>
>>    <r12a> [14]https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/88
>>
>>      [14] https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/88
>>
>>    Shervin: If someone is surprised by finding out that the Arabic
>>    script covers other languages too, they can take a look at the
>>    abstract or the very beginning of the document and learn that
>>    Arabic script can cover more langauges.
>>    ... So, my suggestion is that the current title is good enough,
>>    but if we absolutely have to do that, my suggestion is the four
>>    titles that I wrote in the issue.
>>
>>    Richard: I agree that the title is described in the document
>>    and its educational. But the problem is that some people won’t
>>    look into the document because they don’t think it includes
>>    those languages.
>>    ... This is the case that happened when we were discussing the
>>    document with those three teams.
>>
>>    Shervin: It’s a tough choice to include the knowledge of the
>>    document in the title.
>>    ... I don’t think that it adds something positive to the
>>    document, but if we can have a better, clearer title, I go with
>>    it.
>>    ... It might also help to decouple the languages into sperate
>>    documents, like Arabic Layout Requirements and Persian Layout
>>    Requirements, but I thought that is not our desired option
>>    here.
>>
>>    Richard: Yes. Decoupling does not work because we might want to
>>    include Urdu and other langauges.
>>
>>    Shervin: Changing “Arabic” to “Arabic Script” might mean that
>>    our document is only about the script, not the whole writing
>>    system of Arabic, which can include topics like justification.
>>    ... But I think it won’t be a problem with our audiences. So
>>    I’m fine with that.
>>
>>    Behnam: I agree with the third option.
>>
>>    Mostafa: The third one is fine by me too.
>>
>>    Richard: I can change the title then, because I want to update
>>    other pages that refer to our document.
>>
>>    <r12a> Discussed during telecon. All agreed to use third option
>>    above, ie.
>>
>>    <r12a> Text Layout Requirements for the Arabic Script
>>
>> Summary of Action Items
>>
>> Summary of Resolutions
>>
>>    [End of minutes]
>>
>>
>
>
>


-- 
Behnam Esfahbod | بهنام اسفهبد
http://behnam.es/
GPG-FP: 3E7F.B4B6.6F4C.A8AB.9BB9.7520.5701.CA40.259E.0F8B
Received on Tuesday, 14 February 2017 23:00:44 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 15:55:31 UTC