Re: Stepping down

Hello Lorenzo

Please make sure you join the call tomorrow so that we can discuss organisational matters first. They may be more important than moving forward with the spec GitHub issues at this point.

I agree with your sentiment that Hydra is currently a bit fragmented, even though the number of active parties is somewhat limited. In addition to the personal work anyone out there may be conducting, I mostly speak about Hydra ecosystem (https://github.com/HTTP-APIs <https://github.com/HTTP-APIs>). Even though it is not officially part of the Community Group, it has been recognised as such. I am referring to Sebasien Lambla’s Slack message in which he makes assumptions that the two are part of a larger whole, which is not currently the case.
I strongly believe that the immediate step should be to unify the efforts to improve visibility an coordination.

Now, speaking of the standard and specification itself, let me paraphrase what I heard from Darrell Miller speaking about Open API (the Swagger). He told me that “no one cared about the spec”. Like you say, the important factor guaranteeing its success was indeed the tooling. In that regard I admire your efforts and they should continue. I have been working on some software around Hydra for a while now too. What we need IMO is to showcase these tools, battle test them and use the knowledge we gain from said tests to improve the specification in a tight feedback loop.

For me that is probably the biggest challenge. The current efforts have often been hampered by too many people trying to achieve disparate goal. Discussion on the mailing list often ended in an impasse. Finally, even “resolved” discussions did not end up written down in the spec itself, which further contributes to the confusion about Hydra. This last problem is consequently the most pressing issue in my opinion.

To sum up, here’s my perceived, high-level action plan:

1. Unify the communities by improving communication
2. Update the spec so that it accurately represents the current feature set
3. Conduct further work on working code and realistic examples, requirements and goals. We should avoid too theoretical discussions
4. Prefer agility over perfection
5. Aggressively increase larger presence. Conferences are a big effort but we could also do Twitter, blog posts and commit monitoring to instant messaging platform such as Slacks or Gitter. I think that is something that a larger community expects

Best,
Tom