Re: Hydra Status

> The best use of the mailing list, if everyone
> could agree to use Slack for most communication, would be to make
> announcements and such. For any type of discussion, I would strongly
> prefer Slack.

My last cents on this (before it turns into a pro/contra Slack war ;-) :
it also strongly depends on the structure of the discussion.

The concept of threads in mailing lists is really helpful.
Try to discuss 2 or 3 things at the same time on Slack,
and if that works, try going away for a couple of hours.

This just happened to me yesterday:
I was discussing something with colleagues,
had to leave, and in the morning,
2 other discussions had taken place
and jumping back to the topic was hard.

Yes, in theory you can scroll back
(and only infinitely if you pay),
but the fact that you _have_ to is the problem.

So for technical discussions with in-depth arguments,
I only see GitHub and mail as appropriate
(and mail over GitHub, because of nesting).
Slack lacks the concept of topics,
as a subdivision of channels, to organize this.

…what worked great back in the days
were good old forums / message boards;
kind of like the best of both worlds.

>> Description is something humans don't need:
>> structure of APIs, labels, etc.
>> Concretely: hydra:ApiDocumentation,
>> supportedClass, possibleStatus, …
>
> Don’t these intertwine so deeply that it’s hard to separate them from
> each other?

I don't think so, that was my reason for proposing this.
I think these are very different aspects of Hydra.

> I can at imagine that the requirements of the hypermedia
> controls will have profound effects on the design of the M2M
> descriptions and possible also vice versa.

I don't see this happening.
If you find a concrete example, let me know,
but I've always seen them as distinct.

Ruben