Re: moving forward—with a plan

Hi Pierre-Antoine

> regarding calls, I share Ruben's analysis about the trade-off between openness and commitment, and
> I think that weekly or bi-weekly calls are the way forward. I can't guarantee that I will be able
> to attend (although I would like), but someone from my group definitely will.

I thought about it some more and I feel that maybe I should weaken my stance regarding calls. I agree that they will be useful though I don't think that they should be the defining quality. We should possibly use them to discuss cornerstone or arguable matters. Other than that participation should be as easy as possible, hence GitHub issues.

> regarding mailing list vs. github issues... I agree that an issue-tracking system may help
> structure discussions, so maybe we should use github issues more extensively/systematically. On the
> other hand, such a system does not fit all the discussions that need to happen. For example, where
> would you publish the minutes of the calls ? This is important if you don't want to give the
> impression that the participants to those calls are pulling the strings behind closed doors :-)

That is a fair point. There is no reason to ditch the mailing list altogether but in general I would prefer to mainly use issue tracker as the public-facing interface. And most developers are likely already familiar with GitHub.

> Also, I have some minor concerns about locking the valuable discussions into a proprietary system,
> but I could live with that.

I though that could come up. But hey, if even Microsoft now used GitHub for their open stuff, who are we to be afraid of making that move? :)

And let's not forget that GitHub is not only about issues. It is mainly used for collaboration on code/etc through pull requests. By taking advantage of that we could hopefully move from QA-style mailing list to actual group effort in making Hydra better. Okay, I know I'm not being fair now. What I mean is attracting more and new participants that there are currently on the mailing list.