Re: Hydra compared with JSON API, other specifications

On 1/11/16 6:11 PM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
> First thing I would say that RDF is just part of the graph database
> trend. Google uses Knowledge Graph, Microsoft has Office Graph,
> Facebook has Open Graph and GraphQL. And there is Neo4J and other
> database providers which are growing steadily. RDF is the
> best-standardized graph language, so it gets attention whenever graph
> data gets attention. Does someone still want to argue graph adoption?
>
> In enterprise IT companies which are far from leading technically, the
> problem is not the obscurity or esotericism of RDF or graphs however.
> It is mismanagement and lack of vision. Left hand not knowing what the
> right hand is doing, miscommunication, non-technical managers and
> architectural astronauts, dozens of non-integrated products with
> overlapping functionality, decades old legacy code and and frameworks
> piled on one each other, rush for more features at the cost of
> technical debt, etc. etc. The R&D department might actually be
> developing something interesting while the management never looks at
> it or chooses to ignore it.
>
> RDF is not for those guys. It is so flexible and simple that their
> minds would not comprehend.
>
> And JSON(-LD) is a distraction. It's not what matters, it's just a
> format among others, which happens to be well-supported in JavaScript.

Yep!

All notations and serialization formats are distractions in regards to
the power that RDF provides as a Data Definition Language. Sadly,
notations and serialization formats have held RDF ransom for more than
15 years, amazing!

[1] http://osds.openlinksw.com -- Browser Extension that demonstrates
the high distraction quotient of notation and serialization wars
[2] https://twitter.com/kidehen/status/685461305495531520 -- Fixing RDF
Confusion Poll
[3] https://twitter.com/kidehen/status/684842765277093888 -- RDF Format
Confusion related Poll
[4] https://twitter.com/kidehen/status/684425320301228034 --
Demonstrating the fact that RDF is an Abstract Data Definition Language
associated with a variety of notations and serialization format.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO