Re: Relationship between filter properties and hydra:supportedProperty (was Re: Filters as views (ISSUE-45))

On 2016-02-11 22:12, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2016 at 10:07, Maxim Kolchin wrote:
>> Maybe the initial example is a bit confusing, so let me refine it and
>> provide one more.
>>
>> EXAMPLE A: To filter sensors by they location. In API documentation we
>> define a sensor as follows:
>>
>> apidoc:Sensor a hydra:Class ;
>>      hydra:supportedProperty [ hydra:property geo:lat ],
>> [hydra:property geo:long ] .
>>
>> I can't use geo:lat and geo:long as filter properties, because I'll
>> have to provide exact values, e.g. 60.000001 and 50.000001, a filter
>> with these values won't return a sensor at 60.000000 and 50.000000,
>
> That's a very good point actually. We kind of instinctively assumed equality checks. I guess we need to make this a bit more flexible to allow other comparisons as well.

I wouldn't be so sure. It may be true for numbers and dates but strings?
Aren't these most commonly assumed to be filtered with a "contains"
function? Or maybe "starts with"? Case-sensitive or not?

Bottom line is how much of that information does the client need to
understand other than:

1. here are the parameters
2. these parameters can take certain values
3. here's a URI template where you put these variables

Best,
Tom