RE: Lets move forward

On 16 Dez 2016 at 13:40, Tomasz Pluskiewicz wrote:
> First of all, I never received the email Asbjorn responded to. Weird. Any ideas?

Nope.. I received it :-P

> And regarding hosting, I think that any stable state should be available where it is now
> (hydra-cg.com) and we can use GitHub pages to always have the draft available. See my
> fork [2] hosted by GitHub [3].

Everything from the repo is mirrored to hydra-cg.com. I didn't set up the Markdown rendering for the new, smaller docs yet though (didn't find the time to do so).

>>> Instead, I created a drafts folder in our repository [3] and seeded it with
>>> some content. My hope is that this eases collaboration and speed up
>>> progress.
>
> I'm not against but please help me understand how it will help.

It helps to keep the friction low. Not everyone is a good (spec) writer but I'd like to enable everyone to submit a few sentences or paragraphs here and there. As soon as we are done, we will transform it into a well-written, cohesive document.

> So, will we work on the drafts on main spec? I'm inclined to think that pull requests
> themselves can be viewed as drafts. When someone creates a pull request to the main spec,
> others can view it the changes and big picture on the fork.
>
> Hence, I'm skeptical towards the drafts folder. If anything else, git branches can be used for
> completely new features (such as sketching out the client interface).

Pull requests against the spec itself don't work very well in my experience. Also, I think I can count the PRs to our current spec on one hand even though it has been out there for quite a while. Let's try this as an experiment for a few months. I think the much lower friction is worth it.

>>> For me personally, the highest priority is still to get collections done as
>>> they are such a fundamental building block in almost every Web API. But I'll
>>> wait with pushing that forward till we have Rubens first version as I don't
>>> really know what he has in mind and it might change things more
>>> fundamentally.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> I too agree. Basic paging and filtering is a must. We can work on more advanced scenarios
> once we have the groundwork done.

Great. So, please keep the proposals in the form of PRs to the drafts coming :-)