Re: the necessity of describing responses in-band

On Oct 8, 2015, at 8:23 AM, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

>> On 6 Okt 2015 at 14:17, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>> I've written a blog post that describes the necessity
>> of describing responses in-band:
>>    http://ruben.verborgh.org/blog/2015/10/06/turtles-all-the-way-down/
>
> Nice post! One question I have is why you blanked the URL bar in the second
> screenshot? Even if the resource itself isn't self-describing, the client
> would still know how it retrieved it, no?
>
> I have to say though, that I'm not a big fan of exchanging named graphs as
> they have undefined semantics...

As I recall, it was expected that other specifications might define the semantics of names graph related to their use. It was RDF that did not define any semantics. I think, in this case, using named graphs in the context of LDP/Hydra could be given semantics. For example, the graph name <http://www.w3.org/ns/hydra> might be defined to represent API provisioning triples using the Hydra spec. A non-Hydra aware client wouldn't know what to do with them, but if the Hydra spec defined such usage, then it could have meaning for a Hydra-aware client.

Gregg