RE: Hydra Design Goals: How important is RDF?

On Thursday, October 01, 2015 9:56 PM, Karol Szczepański wrote:
>>> The Hydra Core Vocabulary is a vocabulary to describe hypermedia controls.
>>> So Hydra Core Vocabulary constructs will be inside of API responses.
>>> That's not the case with service description stuff like WSDL, Swagger, etc.
>
> Well, I’m somehow dissappointed and I hope Hydra to be more than this.
> While hypermedia is something what we seek I’m not that keen to throw
> everyhing into API responses altogether. I like to have separated raw
> data and hypermedia controls. I feel that my point of view is not that
> abandoned. The spec points to API documentation in very first
> paragraphs, thus I hope we’ll not close ourselves only to having
> embedded hypermedia controls. I think this will greatly limit the use
> cases for Hydra itself and will become it’s first nail to the coffin.

I agree, I think it's quite important to not have to include hypermedia controls directly in the response. That was one of the design goals of Hydra from the very beginning. It adds complexity but also keeps API responses smaller and easier to understand to most developers. Unlike on websites, most Web API responses look almost the same.

We need both. Developers can then choose when to use what.

P.S.: Please stick to plain-text mode when writing your mails :-P