Re: Relation between Hydra classes and RDF classes

From: Karol Szczepański <karol.szczepanski@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 12:31:00 +0100
To: "Ryan Shaw" <ryanshaw@unc.edu>, "Hydra" <public-hydra@w3.org>
Hi Ryan

I think your example is correct - you can raise your skos:ConceptScheme to
hydra:Class. My understanding of hydra:Class is that it and instances of
that type can be safely dereferenced as a resource, which might not be so
obvious with rdfs:Class or owl:Class. That's why hydra:Class is a subclass
of hydra:Resource and rdfs:Class simultanously.

>The only potential problem I can see here is that, by conflating
>`skos:ConceptScheme` with the API class, we lose the ability to
>describe other resources, which may not be under the control of our
>API, as instances of `skos:ConceptScheme`, without implying that those
>external resources also support the same operations and properties.
I think thats how Hydra should work - eveyrhing denoted with that vocabulary
should tell the client on some extra possibilities, thus if other resources
are not hydra decorated the client can only imply what RDF allows it, i.e.
it can try to dereference a resource starting with http://, but there is a
high chance that it's pointless (i.e. due to linked data paradigm is not
implemented by a given host). With hydra client should be confident that
dereferencing it should be possible and the API will do the rest.

Best

Karol