RE: What can we agree on? (ISSUE-42)

On 25 Feb 2015 at 00:44, Thomas Hoppe wrote:
> I was following the recent discussions and I agree with what you said,
> Markus, I want to add my summary:

Good :-)

> 1.) We should be able to indirectly express that a collection in terms
> of hydra whose members are in a foaf:knows relationship with some
> subject, actually means that this relationship is true for every member
> of the collection. As far as I have understood, the `hydra:manages`
> construct allows just that.

In theory, yes. But strictly speaking we haven't defined the semantics in
such a way (yet). Currently you'd need to explicitly make those assertions
for every member.

> And I think this is not only useful for the
> often stressed reasoner; This info can also be leveraged by a client
> that happens to understand the construct in hydra and can react upon
> it... so no AI or reasoning required here.

Well, it would be a reasoner nevertheless. It just happens to only make
Hydra inferences... but that's probably fine I guess.

> 2.) I'm against having the members of the collection outside
> of the collection.
>
> 3.) I understand people who argue that it would be nice to _also_
> express paging in terms of a offset/ limit tuple. Yes, this is not good
> for those "streamy resources" like newsfeeds but for ranged resources it
> is a way to express this and it is heavily used in the wild. So we would
> help people to describe existing APIs if we can offer this. I don't ask
> for adding this to the vocab but we could offer some advice (also
> outside of the spec) how to model such a construct, maybe with hydra's
> `firstPage`, `lastPage`, `nextPage`, `previousPage` and IRI templates as
> proposed by Greg.

Noted :-) I'd still like to get the most basic model done first though.

> 4.) I think Ruben is right and we should have the concept
> of singe pages/ partial collections/ whatever because the
> alternative just seems to just wrong.

I agree but quite a few people strongly opposed to that... at least in the
form it was proposed. Maybe we find an alternative design that satisfies
everyone.

> Greets, Thomas
>
> On 02/23/2015 10:48 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> I think we are starting to go in circles regarding ISSUE-42. Would
everyone
>> agree with the following statements? Is there anything I forgot?
>>

>> In Web APIs, we often need to return a lot of related data, e.g., persons
>> someone knows
>>
>> Sometimes it is too much data to be returned in a single response
>>
>> Therefore, we would like to split this data and return it in multiple
>>
>> Nevertheless, the client needs to be able understand, that all these
persons
>> someone knows)
>>
>> Due to the way some vocabularies are defined, we can't link directly to
such
>> "helper resources" as that would be misinterpreted by clients (a client
>> would misinterpret a helper resource to be a person if it would be linked
>> via foaf:knows e.g.)
>>
>> We want the relationships to be explicitly expressed so that we don't
have
>> to rely on a reasoner
>>
>> If JSON-LD is used as the serialization format, the documents should look
as
>> idiomatic as possible. I.e., they should closely resemble current Web
APIs.