Re: Interesting blog post: GraphQL and REST

On 28 June 2015 at 18:50, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:

> I just stumbled across an interesting blog post about GraphQL and REST by
> Martijn. Some of you might be interested in reading it as well:
>
>   http://blog.startifact.com/posts/graphql-and-rest.html
>
> With JSON-LD, Hydra and Linked Data Fragments it should be possible to come
> up with something quite similar without having to expose an overly
> expressive query execution service on the server side.
>
> The key point here IMO is, however, that more and more people start to
> explore graphs without giving up a tree-structured data serialization
> client-side. This matches very well what we have been doing with JSON-LD
> and
> Hydra.

This seems to be a slightly negative piece towards facebook.

To their credit, Facebook are pretty much the only system that give back 5
star linked data, via the open graph.

In general, the JSON LD, Hydra etc. stuff doesnt do that, and that's not
looking like changing anytime soon.

Should the query language be RESTful?  Probably yes, tho isnt this similar
to using SPARQL over GET?

IMHO, it's not of great utility, to design a RESTful query language using
LD, Hydra and LDF, when then underlying profiles, are not 5 star LD.