RE: Hello

Hi Ross,

Welcome on board!

On 19 Apr 2015 at 17:21, Ross McFarlane wrote:
> I'm Ross. I work on retail and ecommerce APIs for a company
> called One iota in the UK. This is my first venture into the
> world of W3C community groups, so please point me in the right
> direction if I'm doing this wrong!

There isn't much you can do wrong :-) Don't be afraid to ask (seemingly stupid) questions. If something is unclear to you, it is likely that other people struggle with it as well.

> I've been interested in the idea of self-describing APIs for a
> few years now. I've implemented some simple features into our
> existing API to allow methods and acceptable datatypes to be
> described, but I'd like to push that a bit further, ideally in a
> standards-compliant way.
>
> We're on the brink of transitioning our monolithic PHP codebase
> to microservices. To avoid the chaos of Developer Open Season,
> we're looking at putting together a framework to allow devs to
> get started easily, and make sure that the path of least
> resistance is pointing in the right direction. I'd like to
> implement Hydra (or something like it) as part of this
> framework, as it will lower our support load if we don't need to
> develop an API client for each service. I'd also like to get
> some semantics into the data to allow developers to use their
> own vocabulary within their bounded context, but use a common
> ontology where they communicate. Semantics should also protect
> us against problems like renaming fields, which can be a pain.

That seems to be a great match. Hydra probably doesn't contain all you need yet but it should provide a good basis. And your work can inform the design of Hydra.

> We've invested quite a bit in describing our data using JSON
> schema, so I'm interested to see if/how we can use existing
> schemata alongside Hydra and JSON-LD. I've already seen a
> discussion along those lines on the email list.
>
> Well, that's all from me for now. I'm sure I'll be in touch as I
> narrow in on particular issues.

Looking forward to it :-)