RE: Using Hydra alongside other vocabularies

Hi Kev,

And sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

On Friday, August 29, 2014 12:58 PM, Kev Kirkland wrote:
> I might have answered my own question - is the SupportedProperty
> "property" adding statements about dct:title (i.e. it's using the open
> world assumption to add Hydra based knowledge about dct:title)? So it
> looks as follows (for dct:title):

Yes. It tells you more about how classes and properties are to be used *in the context of a specific API*.

> "supportedProperty": [
>   {
>     "property": {
>       "@id": "dct:title",
>       "@type": "rdf:Property",

This is correct, but you don't need to repeat the complete definition of the dct:title property. Have a look at the Event API demo which uses schema.org instead of a proprietary vocabulary:

    http://bit.ly/hydra-console-event-api

> I guess the same applies to the hydra:Class. If we're making a Hydra
> API Documentation for dcat:Dataset, then I'd use dcat:Dataset as the
> @id of the hydra:Class, the Hydra information is then adding to what's
> known about dcat:Dataset (in the context of the current Hydra API)?

Exactly. It tells you e.g. what properties are known to be supported (supportedProperty) in the context of this API and what operations the API supports on instances of that class (supportedOperation)

> "supportedClass": [
>   {
>     "@id": "dcat:Dataset",
>     "@type": "hydra:Class",
>     "label": "DCAT Dataset",

I hope the Event API demo above clarifies it. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.. the spec isn't fully up to date at the moment.

Btw. as you probably know there's a W3C Community Group working on Hydra [1]. I'd like to invite you to join it. The steps to do so are outlined at

    http://www.hydra-cg.com/#community

Looking forward to see your first Hydra-powered API. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks,