RE: Fwd: Step by step resource editing

On 27 Sep 2014 at 13:02, Dietrich Schulten wrote:
> Am 17.09.2014 20:06, schrieb Kev Kirkland:
>> I think the solution you mention below does this (if I interpret
>> it correctly). That is we return a representation that has a single
>> Hydra operation and the single operation is to POST some
>> information using a SupportedClass?
>
> In fact, that is one possibility. Mike Amundsen once identified
> exactly this as a possible way to tell a client what to do in the
> hypermedia-web group.

Yeah, it's certainly a viable option to do this. I, however, would typically prefer something a bit more explicit to guide clients through a unknown path to a certain goal.

> Another is a rel the client looks for. The IANA
> rel 'next' might be a good candidate for a wizard BTW :)

Indeed... but obviously it depends on how you use it in detail

> My interpretation of json-ld attributes having links as values is that
> they are a special case of relation types. The attribute names are
> always IRIs, if you resolve them. The attribute "event" on the
> schema.org class "Organization" can be interpreted as an extension rel:
> Link rel=http://schema.org/event href="http://api.example.com/events".
> Only, they are not registered with IANA, but published in another
> well-known place.

Correct. Actually, for a while all IANA link relations had a canonical mapping to URLs [1] but that was lost with RFC 4287 [2]. I tried to reintroduce that a while ago but there wasn't much support on the IETF side, just a little from W3C (which would obviously like to use it in RDF-based specs).

> So a generic client could also be parameterized to look for "event",
> then for "offers" etc.

Right

> This means that clients follow sequences of rels. With the rel 'next'
> it could also follow without knowing exactly how many times.

Yeah, for navigational traversal (think a paged collection) that's a great pattern. For state changing interaction however I think you would typically want something more explicit.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4287#section-4.2.7.2
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988