Re: TPF and DBMSes (was Re: Hydra and Shapes)

On 11/25/14 2:49 PM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
>> In addition, what would constitute the SPARQL endpoint, in this scenario?
> There is no notion of “SPARQL endpoint” in the context of triple pattern fragments.
> This is on purpose; only simple questions (= triple patterns) can be asked to servers.
>
>> By that I mean: an endpoint to which SPARQL-FED queries could be directed?
> Federated SPARQL queries over triple pattern fragment interfaces
> should be solved using a federated triple pattern fragments client.

Yes, but can't you see I am trying to line things up with standards
parts of SPARQL?

You position this work in the context of SPARQL, but many of the virtues
of SPARQL, are not there.

> We are currently extending the existing JavaScript client to support federation.

Yes, I don't think you have SPARQL-FED in mind, or do you?

> Basically, it just comes down to asking triple pattern fragments
> to multiple servers instead of just one.

By not using SPARQL-FED. Basically, you mean: Federated Linked Data
Fragments etc..

> This change is quite straightforward, as many existing federation engines
> also have triple pattern (ASK) queries at the base of their algorithm.
> We can thus support federation without extending the interface.

Yes, but in the context of SPARQL you are creating something different
i.e., it won't work naturally with existing components, both ways.

> If you really want a SPARQL endpoint, you can set up a local one:
> https://github.com/LinkedDataFragments/Client.js/blob/v1.2.0/bin/ldf-client-http
> We used that one for experimentation,
> because it gives the exact same interface as other SPARQL endpoints.
> However, I highly recommend against setting this up as a public SPARQL endpoint;
> you'd inherit both the drawbacks of triple pattern fragments and SPARQL endpoints,
> without having the advantages of either—so essentially, the worst of both worlds.

My interests center around groking how what you are doing fits (to the
degree possible) into the existing LOD ecosystem, in natural ways :)

Kingsley

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen