RE: How to avoid that collections "break" relationships

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:19 AM, john.walker wrote:
> > March 27, 2014 9:49 AM Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> > > That's an interesting idea; in a JSON-LD representation, it might
> > > look like the following:
> > >
> > > {
> > > "@id": "/markus",
> > > "@type": "schema:Person",
> > > "rdfs:seeAlso": {
> > > "@id": "/markus/friends",
> > > "foaf:primaryTopic": "schema:knows"
> > > }
> > > }
> > >
> > > {
> > > "@id": "/markus/knows",
> > > "@type": "hydra:Container",
> > > "hydra:member": "/gregg"
> > > }
> > >
> > > The only problem I see from a Linked Data perspective is that
> > > </markus/friends> appears to be defined in the </markus> node definition,
> > > so it wouldn't be obvious that you would do a further redirection to get
> > > the container.
>
> Based on AAA assumption, would it be wrong to assume that just because
> </markus/friends> is the subject of some triples in </markus>
> resource, that I would not get additional information by following the
> link?

Yes, it would. In general, the only authoritative representation of a resource is the one you retrieve by dereferencing its URL. So you should also look there.

> For example in the friends list, I would expect it is reasonable and
> useful to include the foaf:name of all the people you know so you can
> present these to the user without having to follow each of those links
> individually to fetch the persons name.

Yep, that's actually a best practice as Niklas explained already in a different thread.

> In fact doing this kind of flexible denormalization in the data
> publishing layer is one of the strong points of RDF and Linked Data
> IMHO.  Sticking to a world view where data is only published in
> normalized form is losing a lot of useful points.
>
> In the above example, I would expect the use of rdfs:seeAlso gives a
> strong hint to the user agent to follow that link, plus including some
> info about that resource gives a hint of what you can expect to find
> there.

Right

> > Sorry, I have no knowledge of Hydra.
> > My though was to skip the container completely and only serve
> > a bunch of raw
> > </markus> schema:knows [] .
> > triples from </markus/friends> or the redirection target </markus/friends.rdf>
> >
> > Paging seems like overkill but I guess it could be necessary in other
> > situations.
> >
> > Tore
>
> Based on the JSON-LD example from Markus, what seems logical for me is
> as follows.  I minted a new hydra:relation property that tells you by
> which property the primary topic of the list is linked to the members
> by.
>
> {
> "@id": "/markus",
> "@type": "schema:Person",
> "rdfs:seeAlso": {
> "@id": "/markus/friends",
> "@type": "hydra:Container",
> "foaf:primaryTopic": "/markus",
> "hydra:relation": "schema:knows"
> }
> }
>
> {
> "@id": "/markus/friends",
> "@type": "hydra:Container",
> "rdfs:label": "List of Markus' friends" ,
> "foaf:primaryTopic": "/markus",
> "hydra:relation": "schema:knows" ,
> "hydra:member":  [
> { "@id": "/gregg" },
> { "@id": "/bill" }
> ]
> }
>
> So with appropriate inference rules you could entail that markus knows
> gregg and bill, or also just state these triples explicitly in the
> friends list.
>
> When Markus is a very popular guy the list can also be paginated.
>
> Hope that makes sense.

Yes it does. It is, however, "just" a variation of Niklas' proposal... however with more commonly known properties.