Re: An updated draft of the schema.org/Action proposal

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Markus Lanthaler
<markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://code.sgo.to/crawler/yaap.html#url=http://code.sgo.to/hotels/123
> >> would look like with these constructs:
> >>
> >> {
> >>   "@context": "http://schema.org",
> >>   "@type": "Hotel",
> >>   "@id": "http://localhost:5000/hotels/123",
> >>   "name": "Hilton",
> >>   "reservations": {
> >>     "@type": "ItemList",
> >>     "@id": "http://localhost:5000/hotels/123/reservations",
> >>     "operation": {
> >>       "@type": "SearchAction",
> >>       "actionStatus": "proposed",
> >>       "expects": [{
> >>           "@type": "SupportedClass",
> >>           "subClassOf": "LodgingReservation",
> >>           "requiredProperty": [
> >>              "http://schema.org/checkInDate",
> >>              "http://schema.org/checkOutDate",
> >>              "http://schema.org/numberOfAdults",
> >>              "http://schema.org/numberOfChildren"
> >
> > Just sanity checking Markus: is this valid JSON-LD? i.e. is it legal to
> > say that the previous statement [1] corresponds to the following [2]
> > expanded statement?
> >
> > [1]
> >
> > "requiredProperty": [
> >   "http://schema.org/checkInDate",]
> >
> > [2]
> >
> > "requiredProperty": [
> >   {
> >     @type: Property,
> >     @id: "http://schema.org/checkInDate"
> >   }
> >  ]
>
> Yeah, if you type-coerce (http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#type-coercion)
> "requiredProperty" in your context to be of type "@id" that works. You
> can't infer though that "http://schema.org/checkInDate" is of type
> "Property". At least not without setting rdfs:range of "requiredProperty"
> to "Property" (and you generally don't do that in Schema.org AFAIK). So it
> is just equivalent to
>
>   "requiredProperty": [
>     {
>       @id: "http://schema.org/checkInDate"
>     }
>    ]

> >> In our latest thinking (which I still need to put down on paper and
> >> publish), we think that the "expects" and "returns" constructs should go
> >> into the Action-level properties, because it may apply to multiple
> action
> >> handlers (example: if you have an android app as well as a web API, you
> >> don't want to repeat yourself what your API looks like).
>
> Definitely makes sense. Can't we get rid of actionHandler then at the same
> time by moving that information to the operation itself as already proposed
> above. In other words, an operation would not only be an HttpOperation but
> also, e.g., an AndroidOperation at the same time. The application which
> invokes it extracts the necessary information directly from the operation.
>
>   {
>     "@type": ["SearchAction", "HttpOperation", "AndroidOperation" ],
>     "httpMethod": "POST",
>     "androidIntent": ...  <-- or something similar, you get the idea

Let me try to understand what you are trying to say. So, to put in terms of
the current proposal, you'd get something like the following:

{
    "@type": ["SearchAction", "AndroidIntentActionHandler" ],
    "packageName": "com.netflix"
}

rather than

{
    "@type": "SearchAction",
    "actionHandler": {
       "@type": "AndroidIntentActionHandler"
      "packageName": "com.netflix"

Does that reflect what you are proposing? If so, what is the added benefit?

> with
> >
> > Yep, in that case you'd want to use a SupportedProperty instead.
>
> Again, how do you distinguish between them?
>

> >>   {
> >>     "@context": "http://schema.org",
> >>     "@type": "Hotel",
> >>     "@id": "http://localhost:5000/hotels/123",
> >>     "name": "Hilton",
> >>     "reservations": {
> >>       "@type": "ItemList",
> >>       "@id": "http://localhost:5000/hotels/123/reservations",
> >>       "operations": {
> >>         "@type": "BookAction",
> >>         "name": "Creates a new reservation for this hotel",
> >>         "method": "POST",
> >>         "expects": [{
> >>           "@type": "SupportedClass",
> >>           "subClassOf": "LodgingReservation",
> >>           "supportedProperty": [
> >>              { "property": "checkInDate", "required": true },
> >>              { "property": "checkOutDate", "required": true },
> >>              { "property": "numberOfAdults", "required": true },
> >>              { "property": "numberOfChildren", "required": true }
> >>           ]
> >>         }],
> >>         "returns": "http://schema.org/ItemList"
> >>       }
> >>     }
> >>   }
> >>
> >> How do you find this version?
> >
> > Does this version require any "automatic-expansion" that you mentioned
> > before? Or is this valid JSON-LD out of the box?
>
> It's valid JSON-LD out of the box. With "expansion" I was talking about
> how a JSON-LD processor interprets a JSON-LD document. Internally, it
> expands terms to URLs.
>
> See http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld-api/#expansion
>

> >> I removed the HttpHandler in the example. I know you probably need it to
> >> decide whether to invoke the operation directly and showing the user
> just
> >> the result or open a new browser window. That information could be
> >> expressed as an operation type if needed so, "@type": [ "BookAction",
> >> "WorkflowOperation" }. In lack of a better term I used WorkflowOperation
> >> to express that this specific operation is part of a larger workflow and
> >> that requires a new browser window to be opened so that the user can
> >> complete the remaining steps.
> >
> > Handlers are not necessarily "workflow" specific. That is, they exist
> > because invoking actions in different platforms is complicated (e.g. this
> > is what it takes to invoke on android, and this is how you invoke on
> > windows).
>
> OK. What do you think about moving that information to the operation
> itself as suggested above? I haven't thought hard about it yet but I can't
> see any obvious disadvantages of doing so. Quite the contrary.

Could you elaborate the advantages/disadvantages? I'm failing to see the
selling point here.