Re: representing hypermedia controls in RDF

[moved from public-lod to public-hydra]

Hi Mark,

> And POST can be
> used for much more than creation, so I think "CreateResourceOperation"
> is a misnomer (or else overly specific).

I guess people can create their own operations, right?
Such as IncrementCounterOperation.

To capture the semantics of those operations, further description mechanisms could be used.
(But they might require switching to a language with more expressive power, to use quantification.)

Alternatively, we could learn from http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-9.5 to define standard operations:

> POST is designed
>    to allow a uniform method to cover the following functions:
>
>       - Annotation of existing resources;
>
>       - Posting a message to a bulletin board, newsgroup, mailing list,
>         or similar group of articles;
>
>       - Providing a block of data, such as the result of submitting a
>         form, to a data-handling process;
>
>       - Extending a database through an append operation.

CreateResourceOperation covers the second thing here.

> Also, the next version of RDF Forms has been sitting in my head for a
> few years after collecting a little bit of experience with the current
> version. One of the big changes I would make is to go fully predicate
> based rather than class based simply because I expect it would be more
> flexible and also fit better into, e.g. HTML or the Link header. So if
> I had a POST-accepting resource, instead of this:
>
> <http://example.org/res1> a hydra:CreateResourceOperation .
>
> I'd go with;
>
> <> hydra:sink <http://example.org/res1> .

But how do you further annotate the “operation” then?

Best,

Ruben