Re: G7 leaders call for ‘guardrails’ on development of AI

Thanks, Timothy, for updating our awareness and asking us to think about
the implications:

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 9:39 AM Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was alerted to: https://twitter.com/FT/status/1659481447428751360
>
> “We reaffirm that AI policies and regulations should be *human centric*
> and based on nine democratic values, including protection of human rights
> and fundamental freedoms and the protection of privacy and personal data.We
> also reassert that AI policies and regulations should be risk-based and
> forward-looking to preserve an open and enabling environment for AI
> development and deployment that maximises the benefits of the technology
> for people and the planet while mitigating its risks,” the ministers’
> communique stated.
>
> Source is from:
>
> https://g7digital-tech-2023.go.jp/topics/pdf/pdf_20230430/ministerial_declaration_dtmm.pdf
>
> FWIW: personally, i think of many of these requirements as 'safety
> protocols', but am open and interested to hear the views of others...

My views: I see an analogy to great pronouncements and even goals on
climate change a few years ago,
WITHOUT the kind of groundwork needed to get the great goals implemented.
Useful implementation is MORE URGENT here,
because the worst case pathways to extincion run even
faster with internet/AGI/IOT than with climate. It is far more difficult,
because the physical details are harder for people to understand. (For
example, H2S in atmosphere is a lot easier to visualize than QAGI.)

The design requirements are simply not under this open discussion. I hope
Jerry's effort can help close this life or death gap.