Re: Artificial Intelligence and Group Deliberation

Hi Adam,

I have the impression the legal system is already an arms race where those
with a lot of resources do not get the same outcomes as those with few
resources. There is also the capability of individual lawyers/teams that
biases the system. Technology seems more likely to accentuate the problem
rather than solve it. Consider a political system where resources are not
limited during elections and I think we can see how this leads to a system
serving the interests of those who concentrate large resources. There are
other political systems where campaigns are limited to a certain cost and
reimbursed by the state - a simple non-technical solution.

A fair justice system might need similar resource constraints rather than
trying to maintain equilibrium in an arms race. For example, we could limit
the resources available for a particular type of case. This could avoid
situations where defendants are not given legal council with sufficient
skill and/or resources.

I like your ideas for forum software and personal assistance. I've been
thinking about this in regards to different contexts - in some situations
the priority might be about effective communication (e.g. the user is not
seeking a relationship) and in others the authenticity of "poor"
communication can lead to desirable dynamics.

Coming back to the court room, I have a rather naive understanding of the
legal system and it is interesting to note that in some systems the vast
majority of cases are not actually argued because the prosecutor negotiates
via plea bargaining to avoid arguing cases in court. I remember recently
listening to someone who spent 20 odd years in a US prison for a murder
that was committed while he was being held in jail after an arrest. The old
technology of beating a confession out of someone still seems to work very
well in some systems.

Kind regards,
   Mark

PS Here is the above message massaged by GPT-4 for a public forum
conversation:

Dear All,

I hope you are well. Drawing from our recent discussions, I would like to
explore the role of technology, particularly AI, in judicial and
legislative systems and group deliberations. We must consider the potential
benefits and drawbacks of integrating AI into these contexts, as well as
the importance of maintaining fairness and resource balance.

The legal system often appears to be an arms race, where resource
disparities impact outcomes and create biases. As technology advances, it
may accentuate these issues rather than resolve them. For example, in
political systems without resource constraints during elections, those with
concentrated resources often dictate the system's priorities. In contrast,
some political systems impose cost limits and provide state reimbursements,
creating a fairer environment through non-technical solutions.

A fair justice system might similarly benefit from resource constraints
rather than perpetuating an arms race. By limiting resources for specific
case types, we can mitigate situations where defendants lack skilled legal
counsel or sufficient resources.

When discussing forum software and personal assistance, context plays a
crucial role. In some cases, effective communication may be the priority,
while in others, the authenticity of "imperfect" communication can lead to
more desirable dynamics. Equitable access to advanced AI tools, such as
configurable versions of Grammarly, and ensuring technological proficiency
among all participants is essential for a fair system.

In many jurisdictions, the majority of cases are resolved through plea
bargaining rather than court trials, and outdated practices, such as
coerced confessions, persist. These complexities highlight the need for
careful consideration when introducing new technologies and standards into
legal systems and group deliberations.

To foster human-centric AI in judicial, legislative, and group deliberation
contexts, we must ensure equal access to advanced tools, promote
technological proficiency, and maintain transparency in AI systems' usage.
By addressing these concerns, we can contribute to more equitable and
effective decision-making processes.

I am eager to hear your thoughts and engage in a productive dialogue on
these topics.

Best regards,
    Mark