Re: Artificial Intelligence and Group Deliberation

Mark,

Thank you for the useful hyperlink about differentiable technological development.

I see your points about personalization, preferences, and configurability. It seems that we can envision something like a configurable advanced Grammarly which would be equally available to all participants, councilmembers, representatives, legislators, and Congresspeople. Perhaps the composition-related functionalities in Web browsers' AI-enhanced sidebars may evolve into something similar.

When I consider lawyers in courtrooms and participants in group deliberations (e.g., legislators) what comes to my mind, in this particular discussion, is that I hope that they are all, or that their staffs are all, equally technologically proficient. Imagine a courtroom where one party’s lawyer had a laptop connected to a suite of advanced tools via Wi-Fi Internet while the other lawyer had a briefcase with a stack of papers.

Judicial and legislative systems seem to be more intuitively fair when all of the participants are equally proficient and equally equipped with preparation-related and performance-related tools. There could even be "arms race" scenarios in terms of speechwriting assistants, debate coaches, and other preparation-enhancing and performance-enhancing tools.

Arguments for advanced forum software (e.g., features delivered via plugins for social media software) include, but are not limited to, that:

  1.  Some of these tools should obtain and process discussion contexts to provide better composition-related advice to each user.
     *   However, per-user tools like advanced Grammarly or Web browser sidebar composition tool could, in theory, scrape the entireties of discussion threads, from webpages, up to the posts being authored (perhaps utilizing HTML5 document metadata, Web schema, or linked data) to deliver better advice requiring discussion contexts.
  2.  Some of the tools under discussion are useful for evaluating the posts of other users or evaluating combinations of posts from multiple users, entire threads, as they unfold.

Best regards,

Adam